Tuesday, June 9, 2015

CSC: Apple Pie Granola with Two-Minute Date Puree

My first recipe book from The China Study Quick and Easy Cookbook was the Apple Pie Granola - which first required preparing the Two-Minute Date Puree. I don't think I'm giving out any proprietary secrets here by telling you that the puree consists of exactly two ingredients: Medjool dates, and water.


Tip #1 would be this - avoid buying the super-expensive packages of Medjool dates. Seriously, the smallest I could find was $14. Would I eat all of those? Yes, they are delicious! But, there are other healthy snacks with a much lower price tag. My recommendation is that if your grocery store carries these in the bulk section, get 'em there. About nine should give you a cup.

I tossed the two ingredients into the smallest cup of my Ninja blender (love, love the Ninja!) and let it do all the work. I know it looks a little lumpy on the right, but was nice and smooth when I scooped it out.


Moving on, I prepped and measured the remaining ingredients for the granola, then whipped together the sauce in a saucepan.


The book gives you the option to finish in the saucepan, or in the oven - I like a crunchier granola, so I went with the oven. Parchment paper is definitely a girl's best friend!


After it cooled, I tossed the oats with the apples - using my pie fork! - and stored the granola in a 1.5 quart Oxo pop container (my favorite container in the world, no question). Fit perfectly! Paired with a little unsweetened almond milk, I had breakfast for a week - delicious! Definitely a successful start!


No comments:

Post a Comment