Sunday, March 24, 2013

New Kitchen Toy!

I am a big fan of cast iron skillets, for savory and sweet items alike. A few examples of previous uses:


Deep dish pizza, apple pie, and smothered pork chops are a few regulars with the CIS. The last two photos, well, I enjoy posting ridiculous "customer images" for things I've purchased on Amazon. You should try it sometime, it's quite entertaining.

Anyway, one of the problems with cooking for two is that sometimes you wind up with leftovers that you either can't eat all of or shouldn't eat all of (i.e. apple pie) before they go bad, and not everything freezes particularly well. So of late I've been trying out some smaller cookware and adjusting recipes to avoid this issue. My latest smaller cookware purchase is a 6 inch cast iron skillet - it is so cute! These photos offer some perspective on its size:


The first experiment with the little skillet was banana bread.


Not gonna lie, it was a huge success! Every bit as moist and tender as when I bake it in a regular loaf pan, but only about half the size of a loaf. Very promising!

I've got a list of other items I want to try in this little guy, and since it's Spring Break I'll probably actually get around to a few of them in short order. I'll also probably get around to taking and uploading several unhelpful and unnecessary photos to Amazon as well...


No comments:

Post a Comment