Monday, March 25, 2013

US Presidential Reading Challenge Plus

In my quest to accomplish random nerdy things, I have begun a new reading challenge inspired by "The Hall of Presidents" at Disney World. While enjoying that attraction, I decided that I know too little about the Presidents and thus should read a biography of each of them, in order. A quick Google search will show that this is not a unique undertaking, thereby making me somewhat less of a dork. Or I suppose more of one, depending on how you look at it. Of course, school began immediately after our vacation so while still in the back of my mind I did nothing about the idea.

Then a few weeks ago I was out to brunch with a couple of friends, one of whom was extolling the virtues of the book "Mrs. Kennedy and Me," a memoir written by the head of the First Lady's Secret Service detail. At which point I decided to add the "Plus" to my reading challenge - I decided I should also read a biography of each First Lady. And perhaps actually begin reading.

And after my initial title-surfing for bios on this subject I of course discovered many other interesting reads available, so I will most likely add a third related book for each President. As we all know all good things are packaged in trilogy.

All this to say I have completed my first set of reads!



I am now 1/43rd of the way there! (Serving non-consecutive terms is not reason enough for me to read two Grover Cleveland biographies) Of course, this challenge will probably last well into the future and additional Commanders-In-Chief, so that's probably a faulty fraction. I'm okay with that.

And yes, the clip above is from an Excel chart that I created for this purpose. Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment