Thursday, January 21, 2016

January Routines: New Habit - Journaling (Consistently!)

While setting out my work clothes, packing lunches, and emptying the dishwasher in the evening have been consistent (though not perfect) habits of mine for quite a while, there are others that I have struggled to establish in the past that have not yet worked out.

I own a 10 year journal.

Actually, I own two, because I started one three years ago and have done a terrible job of keeping up with it, so rather than facing that shame and having an incomplete journal at the end of its decade, I am starting over. A big accountability helper is that I do not want to have to mark anything as SKIPPED in the app.

Second, I know from the past that one thing that tends to throw me off is going out of town. It's a big book, I don't want to give up the packing space for it :). My back-up strategy is to tap out entries for out-of-town days in a document on my phone each evening, then copy them over when I return home.

Finally, I keep the journal in the drawer of the nightstand by my bed. That way it's right there as I'm turning in for the night if I realize I've forgotten it.

Anyone else out there trying to establish a journaling habit? Any tricks to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment