Friday, January 22, 2016

January Routines: New Habit - "One Year" Bible Plan

Continuing on with failed habits of the past that I have resurrected...

I am starting year three of a one year Bible reading program. Yes, you read that right. Here's what happens: I get into a solid routine of completing the daily reading, then something changes in the routine and it all gets tossed.

Typically this is because I do my readings while eating breakfast, and then there will be a time when I decide to eat breakfast at work instead of at home. Usually this is to buy myself a little bit more sleep time. Have to get up extra early to squeeze on that day's marathon training? If I eat my breakfast at my desk while triaging and responding to emails I can stay in bed 10 minutes longer. 

And then it doesn't occur to me to move the reading to lunch or some other routine time.

Well no more! I will be finishing this one year plan THIS YEAR. Having to mark it DONE or SKIPPED in the checklist app is going to keep me on track; seriously, I don't want to have to mark it skipped! I also now have back-up strategies. If reading during breakfast isn't a possibility, then I shall read during lunch, afternoon tea, or worst case scenario before going to sleep. Whatever it takes not to skip!

Sad that it took me two years to come up with this ultra-sophisticated back-up plan, I know.

I'm anticipating two questions:

1. Afternoon tea? Why yes. I have a cup of tea at 3pm every work day. It's a nice, soothing ritual that forces me to slow down, take stock of what I've accomplished so far that day, and what else I want to finish before going home. It's a wonderful way to break up the afternoon doldrums. It's also delicious.

2. A One Year Bible Plan? Why yes. I use the mobile app (of course) Bible by Life.Church. While I miss holding a physical Bible book, the app is super convenient as it automatically cues up the day's reading for me and tracks my progress. When you miss a couple of days (months...) the app automatically reboots your schedule with one tap of the "Catch Me Up" link. There are tons of plans to choose from, with variables such as time frame, theme, specific parts of the Bible, age of the reader, groups, etc. I'm reading the One Year Chronological Plan. If you're at all familiar with the Bible you're probably aware that it kind of skips around a lot, and will tell the same stories from multiple points of view throughout. This plan arranges them all in chronological order. It's pretty cool to read the accounts of various authors back to back. 

This is the year! If for no other reason I have got to get out of the Old Testament. I'm so weary of these Israelites, continuing to make the same mistake over and over and over...

No comments:

Post a Comment